Block 2 is the center. I'm not the biggest fan of doing applique, but I love the look. I'll show you a couple of different applique techniques and you can choose the one you like.
Here I want to make a note about choosing FQ fabrics for the remaining blocks. Keep in mind that you want to use all your fabrics somewhat equally throughout the quilt.
From your background fabric cut 12 ea. 3 1/2 inch squares. From your FQ fabrics, choose two. Cut a 6 1/2 square from one fabric, your choice for center. From the second fabric, you will cut the applique shapes.
Now make your applique pattern. You will need a circle about 8 inches in diameter. I used a salad plate. Draw a 3 inch square. Line the circle up on opposite corners and draw the gentle curve. Turn around and draw the opposite curve to form a leaf shape. I've seen this little block called a Bay Leaf Block.
Choose your applique technique and using your fabrics numbered 2, prepare 12 applique shapes. Note: The Raw Edge is not as bulky as the Turned edge.
* Applique Technique - Raw Edge Fusible. Much quicker and simpler.
Draw 12 leaf shape on the paper side of "Heat n Bond" and generally cut out the shapes. Press it onto the wrong side of the fabric and cut out exactly on the line. Peel the paper off when ready to place on the background squares.
*Applique Technique - Turned Edge Fusible. Much more like traditional turned edge applique.
Draw your 12 leaf shapes on the non-glue side of a very light-weight fusible interfacing leaving at least 1/4 inch for seam allowance around each.. Cut out the shapes including the seam allowance. Place glue side of the interfacing to the right side of the fabric. Stitch the entire way around the shape on the line. Clip the curves, being careful not to clip the stitches. Carefully cut a 1" slit in the center of the interfacing and turn right side out. Finger press the turned shape. DO NOT press with your iron until placed on the background fabric.
Place your 12 prepared applique shapes on the 3 1/2" background squares and press the shapes in place according to the directions on the fusible product.
Choose a stitch and thread to finish your applique. I have chosen the blanket stitch and am using the same thread that I am quilting with. You might like to use a satin stitch, a zig-zag stitch, or a blind hem stitch. For a nearly invisible applique, turn your blind hem stitch to a very narrow setting. Practice a little on a scrap so you get the look you want on your final project.
Quilt following directions in Block 1 post.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment!